Thursday, February 1, 2024

A Mother's Cry

Dear friend,

I have learned that Jose Arcadio has left with the gypsies. A neighbor has informed me that he left late last night under the cover of darkness. 

I mustn't continue to cry though, I must try to find him and bring him home. 

I have to find him, whatever it takes Jose Arcadio will not leave like some sort of criminal in the night without saying goodbye or explaining himself. What would people think of us?

I curse those forsaken gypsies and their magic. How dare they lure a young boy with delusions and beliefs of these ridiculous inventions as if they are something wonderful. Jose Arcadio has a family and a responsibility to this town. We did not walk over that forsaken mountain and risk having a pigtailed child for him to run away, and with the gypsies nonetheless. 


And Jose Arcadio Buendia could care less about his firstborn. 

That man will drag our family down with his delirious ideas, and now his son has been tainted by his crazy ideas about science. His son is gone and what does he say? "That way he'll learn to be a man." What does he know of being a man? Always in that room, playing with his machines, like a child plays with his toys. Thinking that he has found the magic and all he's found is another wasted day.  He doesn't even realize when his children grow or when his town needs him. Barely leaves that room, decaying in his forsaken illusions. I curse the day Melquiades and those gypsies found our town. What does he know of being a man that one? 

I must walk faster, night has caught onto me. I must catch the gypsies before they get too far, I will not allow no son of mine to leave like this. 



I must be going now until next time, with much love.

Ursula. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Return

Hello, my dear friend, It has been many months since I have written you and since I left Macondo in search of Jose Arcadio.  I was afraid to...